December 12, 2004

Circumspective Me

I have certain concerns about moving to Kuwait. If you've been following my blogs, this would not be news to you. The thing is, recently I have had new concerns come to light... and they are ones of a personal nature rather than external.

The main one I would have to say is my faith.

A practicing Muslim is something I never was. Having been born in Australia, and spending a big part of my life in the West, aside from 10 yrs in Morocco, I grew up with huge misconceptions of my faith, and very little understanding of it. I thought I knew it, but the truth is, I had a Western view of my faith, and a very critical one at that... who could blame me for not wanting to practice something I knew little of, and what little I knew was completely off the charts?

It was not until about a year ago that I had somehow gravitated towards it. 9-11 came and went, and I listened to and watched the undercurrent stories of the FBI conducting sweeping raids and mass arrests of (innocent) Arab-Muslims, then having them deported to 'Gitmo with no due process, only to be tortured for crimes not committed. The wars being waged on Muslims was clearly evident... Afghanistan, Iraq.. more to follow. The anti-Islamic/anti-non-white sentiment growing in the US could not be ignored or avoided. Something in me was jolted into the reality of what was going on around me, as well as within myself.

During a demonstration march, I had gotten into a discussion with some white Muslim converts about women's rights in Islam, and I, thinking myself so knowledgable, started spewing my ignorance forth in argument, until I was told that a lot of what I said was not Quranically-based. I stopped short of further argument, because I was lucid enough to know that indeed, I was not as Islamically read as they were, and truly deep down did not know my religion as much as I ought to... I wanted to know more, so that I could argue my cases better, and possibly show some of them that there are some inhumane things about Islam... so I started studying, and reading, and discussing, and debating, and anything else about Islam.

The Quran became one of the books in the top 10 best seller's list in the US, after 9-11. Americans had a need to understand Islam and its followers, and so did I.

I met a Bolivian-American filmmaker while living in Los Angeles who was a convert herself. We became steadfast friends, and through her I had gained a clearer understanding of Islam. She herself had acquired a Masters in Islamic Jurisprudence and was able to explain much of the laws surrounding Islam, and the reasoning behind them. I also befriended a group of women who were Muslim hippies. All of them converts. Through them I shared my love of environmental causes, and exchanged a great deal with them.

I was discovering that all the issues I had passion for had a platform in Islam. My love of solidarity for the opressed and justice was present in Islam, my love of the environment, kindness to animals and healthy living was present in Islam, my natural tendency to go against the grain of popular thinking was present in Islam, my love of art was present in Islam through a group Muslim Artists I had joined (by way of my Bolivian friend)... I had found myself.

This is a rough description of how I came into it.

Going to back to why I am concerned... lately I have come across some individuals (who I know cannot represent the whole of Kuwait), whose disdain for Islam has been expressed. It is not so much them I am worried over, but the environment they live in which has installed this disdain within them.

This environment is somehow alien to me as a Muslim, because I feel that they (Muslims in Arab countries) have a somewhat off-key approach towards Islam, and are extremely dogmatic. I have spent 2 yrs in Kuwait, and I remember feeling that there always seemed to be some kind of Islamic guilt imposed on people. Also, in comparison to American Muslims, Muslims living in Arab countries seem more jaded towards Islam, and do not share the enthusiasm of having it that myself and many American Muslims share. Nor is the spirituality the same... I find American Muslims more in touch with it, open to sharing, are guilt-free, are more patient and understanding towards others.

I am blessed to have come into Islam in the US. I have gotten to meet Muslims from every walk of life while here. Asian Muslims, Caucasian Muslims, Latino Muslims, African-American Muslims, Europeans, Russian, and of course Arab:-)
Non-judgemental, and open, and accepting, and kind people.

I hope to bring a little piece of that with me when I move to Kuwait, I hope there are others there who share my mentality.



9 Comments:

Blogger Drunk'n'Gorgeous said...

First of Welcome to Blogworld :) I would've welcomed you sooner but you weren't on the Kuwait Blogs list so I had no way of finding out about your blog till now.

Okay here's my opinion right? It's very simple. Muslims in Arab countries take their religion for granted. Most converts are way more into Islam than the muslims who are actually born into Islam.

They're not so much jaded as much as just indifferent, especially with the more wealthier families. Religions isn't "stressed" as much. Most people turn to religion in times of need right? Well if the people don't "need" then they don't pray. Most of Kuwait don't need so they don't pray or at least that's how I see it. I'm not saying I'm agreeing with it. I'm just pointing out that that's the way it is. I know that's it's a generalization but please bear with.

Then there's the religious fanatics. Most of those are boys barely out of their teens. They go to the mosques to pray but are preyed upon by the older men who recruit the boys and brainwash them into being religious fanatics just like them. It's caused Kuwait (among other countries) a lot of grief so maybe that's why the arabs themselves are turning their backs on their religion. Again, I'm not agreeing with it, I'm just saying that that's how I see things.

"Non-judgemental, and open, and accepting, and kind people."

Welcome Welcome WELCOME! lol how's that for an open-armed welcome?

December 12, 2004 2:49 PM  
Blogger Truth Seeker said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :-)

I do find that there are some Kuwaiti men (and maybe women) who feel that being Western means having to nix out being Muslim.

Personally, I find that one does not necessarily compromise the other, and it is possible to be Western and a practicing Muslim at the same time.

I believe that finding a balance between both worlds is ideal, without leaning too much in one or the other. Being in the middle is best, as Allah has mentioned.

Thanks for the warm welcome again:-) And I hope to read your comments again soon!

December 13, 2004 3:57 AM  
Blogger Truth Seeker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 29, 2004 7:39 PM  
Blogger Truth Seeker said...

You are right about one thing... I do disagree with you.

December 29, 2004 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Islam does not mean Love of Knowledge! good god why complicate the origin of the word. you are way off buster. Islam comes from the word istislam. Surender. the self, the soul, the whole bieng and ones destiny in the hands of the one, after the realization of the beauty of creation and all that. The acceptance of the whole system as a way of life. It does not come from the word salam either that would be too simple. Also in Islam war is validated and sometimes necessery. No it is Istislam a higher state a true believer reaches. In my opinion a really beautiful name for a religion don't you think ppl?
I myself am not a believer, I see no use for religion, but I have the utmost respect for ppl beliefs and choices. what ticks me off is when someone doesn't have the facts straight therefore not able to acknowledge the beauty and originality of some idealogies even if one chooses not to follow.

January 04, 2005 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another thing Subway was it?
Muhamad was the philosopher,ontheotherhand Islam in itself as a religion is much more, it is the only rligion that has an almost complete social and economical structur that is almost perfect if followed correctly, if not ideal, it is amazing,fascinatng to read if anybody is interested.
nobody try to convert me it will never happen!lol

January 04, 2005 10:41 AM  
Blogger Truth Seeker said...

Oh, I WISH people would not post anonymously on my blog! :-(

Have the 'cojones' [balls in spanish], to show who you are.

So, anonymous commentator: email me when you get the chance.

Peace:)

January 04, 2005 12:31 PM  
Blogger pstpst said...

I am our anonymos, you know me already, actually it was your suggestion that I comment, I expressed bieng anonymos a horrifying prospect, you tell me it is ok, now you say I have no Balls!lol in reality I donnot have balls, I didn't have a blog at the time but now I do.here you go!

January 05, 2005 9:44 AM  
Blogger Truth Seeker said...

I'm lost...

I know you? Hmm... do I? Have you got another blog?

When did we talk last?

Oooo! I *do* love mysterious revelations!

January 05, 2005 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home