January 21, 2005

In Transit

I sit here with heavy eyelids and a trio of kuwaiti men about 20 ft away from me. I have arrived in London and am sipping on a caffeinated beverage to stay awake long enough to squeeze a few words into this blog.

So, I've been getting these stares from the local British Desi (Indo-Pak) airport employees, I am thinking they likes what I am wearing but are not commenting? Well one did. When I stepped off the plane at Heathrow, she was part of security outside and eyeballed my Indian Banjara scarf "Oo! I like that!" She said as she gestured with her hands, imitating a scarf.

I have a 10 hour delay in London and I wish I could call my best friend and have him spend it with me! I have not seen T-man since he came out to LA to visit me 3 yrs ago... sigh. Then there's The Doctor, my childhood bestfriend who is a geneticist. But she's all the way in Cardiff (Wales) and my rolodex with her # is somewhere in cargo. Just wasn't meant to be!

So, I am trying to replay the last 24 hours in my mind... What stands out most was when I had thrown big black garbage bags full of stuff into the back alley and a homeless bum named Travis came by and began rummaging through them. As I was stuffing my suitcases in my car, I greeted him and we got to chatting for a bit. He got excited when he came across a bunch of dollar bills all rolled up together. It amounted to $15 and he was thrilled and said "This is the best day ever!"

He told me he was going to go buy some beer with the money and I gave him a slightly sour look, to which he quickly retorted with a "I kidding! I'm kidding! I don't drink". I believed him.

My rental car key got stuck in the crack of the trunk and Travis quickly handed me a piece of metal wire to fish it out. I got it. "We were destined to meet, Lulu! I am going to remember you" he exclaimed. He got onto his bike and slowly peddled away wishing me a safe trip.

Santa Monica beach bums are some of the friendliest people you will meet. If you ever see one, just say hello.

I spent the night at T's place. She gave me her bed while insisting that she takes the sofa. I was too tired to argue, despite my guilt, so the next day I treated her to a lunch and we shopped at Aveda so I could stock up on supplies that I know I will not find in Kuwait. Girls, is there a Sephora in Kuwait?

Somewhere over Canada I began sobbing when the realisation of my change of life was sinking in. Everything and everyone I know is left behind for something new. Fear of the unknown? Maybe... however, I feel I am doing Allah's will by moving. Everything I had done to not move did not work, and amazingly everything I did to move went along quickly and smoothly... so go figure.

I've bought myself a black silk tie for work while I strolled around the duty free area. I'm really tired, so I think I am going to catch some zzz's in the "Serenity Lounge".

See you in Kuwait.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TM, Wish you all the best in your move.
There is no Sephora in Kuwait.
TAPAS

January 22, 2005 4:35 AM  
Blogger Truth Seeker said...

[kicking myself now] i -knew- i should have swung by Sephora before heading here!

January 22, 2005 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!!! Welcome to Kuwait! I hope your first day of work is great.

Sephora: Get Aramex's Shop and Ship service (www.aramex.com) and order Sephora online; have it sent to your Aramex box and they'll deliver it to Kuwait.

January 22, 2005 10:13 PM  
Blogger Truth Seeker said...

Hey Anon!

Thanks for the tip! I will deeefinitely do that!

:)

January 23, 2005 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home